Sunday 4 July 2010

Japanese Style Tattoos - Photos from Australia


Just went into my email to find a whole load of photos from Jamie, a long-distance customer from Australia. He'd promised to send me some pics of the tattoo work I'd done on him, and here they are -
complete with added sunshine.

The first piece I did on Jamie was a fox (Inari) and rabbits against a traditional grey background. The upper half of his arm was already tattooed - so I drew the fox design to match his existing work and not create a 'join' halfway down his arm. The cherry blossom and the background are not drawn the way I would normally do - but in this piece continuity was obviously important so I adapted them to suit. I think this result works much better than a 'tattoo of two halves' would ever have done.

When he came to get his next tattoo from me, Jamie pretty much gave me free rein - he said he wanted a rabbit sitting at the waters edge looking down at a turtle which was swimming up towards it, and cherry blossom (always a good thing to add in my book!) The tattoo is to celebrate the birth of his beautiful baby daughter, Darcy.We did the tattoo in two longish sessions and one finishing session - because he was travelling halfway round the planet time was of the essence! I liked the way the 'underwater' effect worked out so much it's appeared a few times since in other pieces I'm drawing up.